History and Mandate

Camp Tillicum was purchased in 1926 by James Nightingale and Edith Palmer after they searched Lake Nipissing for an area in which boy scouts could enjoy summertime water and camping adventure. Over the years, through the help of Rotarian Tom Palmer, the camp developed and grew. In 1949, James and Edith generously gifted Camp Tillicum to the Rotary Club of North Bay so that the club may continue to provide a camp for boys and girls.
After leasing the camp to the Department of National Defence in the late 70s, Camp Tillicum Inc. developed a partnership with our local YMCA so that the area could continue to be used by youth throughout the summer.
The Rotary Club turned the property management over to Camp Tillicum Inc., owned by shareholders (members of Rotary North Bay), and have since invested over $100,000 into improvements and maintenance.
Quality camp experiences help children to develop skills; social, physical, and mental, promote healthy active living and build character. For nearly 90 years, Camp Tillicum has been providing youth in our area with this opportunity in a beautiful outdoor setting.